Skip to main content

Scrumptious Chilli (30-40 min)

I know Chilli Con 'Carne' is quite easy to make and to be honest I've never had bad Chilli Con 'Carne' but this recipe has been perfected thanks to my sister and it is absolutely scrumptious! (and very very easy!)

For 3/4 people:

Ingredients:

-1 chopped onion
-4 cloves of garlic
-2 small green peppers, sliced
-2 small red peppers, sliced
-1 teaspoon of dried oregano
-1 teaspoon of ground cumin
-textured soya (you can use vegetables as well)
-chilli powder (to taste)
-salt and pepper
-chipotle pepper (if you have it it really makes a difference)
-Can of kidney beans
-a couple of tablespoons of corn.
-some red wine (optional)
-Olive oil or vegetable oil

Method:

In a pot put about a tablespoon of olive oil and add the onion, garlic, oregano and cumin. Fry at medium heat until the onion is a bit translucent (be very careful not to burn the garlic). Add the peppers and fry for 3 to 5 minutes stirring occasionally so that nothing burns or sticks.

Add the textured soya and stir, add about a glass of red wine and stir until all the alcohol has evaporated. Add a can of chopped tomatoes, in this case I added a can of whole tomatoes and a bit of passata and it was very nice. Simmer for 10 to 20 min, adding water if necessary. Add a chipotle pepper now if you have it.

Rinse the kidney beans and add to the pot, mix it well and let it simmer for 5 min. Add the chilli powder and season to taste. I find that if you have bought the chilli powder at an Indian store it tends to be very hot so I would only add half a teaspoon and in some cases that might be too much. I would add it little by little and taste in between. Also if you feel it needs more oregano or cumin now is the time too. At the very end I put some corn in and add as much or as little as you like.

And, tah dah!! Very tasty Chilli Con 'Carne'


I served it with tortillas (I didn't make my own this time) and with Pico de Gallo, which is a kind of salsa, it is very easy and very nice.

How to make Pico de Gallo:

You need tomatoes, coriander, onion and lime juice (and salt). Chop it all well and mix!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy, Breezy, Beautiful ... Mushroom and Pumpkin Pasta Bake!!

So... More pumpkin today! As it was a pretty horrible day today, autumnal I would say, I decided to mix my two favourite autumn ingredients: mushrooms and pumpkin. I had three kinds of mushrooms at home: chestnut, button and I'll upload a pic of the other one cause I don't know what it's called... I also had some left over Hokkaido squash. Ingredients: (4 people) -any kind of pasta that you like. -1 medium chopped onion -2-4 crushed cloves of garlic (for easy removal) -olive oil -around 2 cups of sliced mushrooms (any kind that you like, shitake would be nice too) -about a cup of bite size pumpkin -1 big spoon of vegan margarine (I have alpro soya at the moment) -2 tablespoons of flour -soya milk (or any other type that you like, maybe not rice milk as it might be too sweet) -salt and pepper -cayenne (optional) -spinach? Method: Boil the pasta following the instructions of the packet. If you have a steamer you can put it on top of the pasta and steam

Dreamy Creamy Pumpkin Soup (in other words pumpkin and white bean soup)

Can't think of what to have? Don't have time to cook? Well no excuses now... this soup takes 30 min and it's easy and delicious. If you are like me (and many other people) you have cans of different pulses in the cupboard as well as oregano and stock. So all you need to buy is a pumpkin and, as we all know, there are hundreds of things you can make with them and they also last quite a long time. So perhaps you have one lying around cause you went to the market and thought it was a good idea to buy it because you would make something with it and now you've had it for two weeks and you know it's time you ate it but you can't be arsed to cook it... so make this soup! Ingredients: (4- 6 people) - about 4 cups of chopped pumpkin (in my case it was half a pumpkin...) -1 medium chopped onion -1 cube of vegetable stock -1/4 teaspoon of dried oregano (I had fresh oregano so I put 4 sprigs) -1 can of white beans (400 gr can) -salt and pepper -water To garn